The addition and use of the National 800 Number by US Crime Stoppers programs has been increasing monthly. While all local Crime Stoppers programs have different needs, the project is flexible enough to fully meet this list of requirements, and has been a catalyst in the reduction of telecommunication costs and problems for a number of programs.
The “basic” design for 1-800-222-TIPS consists of the following framework:
- Telecompute Corporation receives the calls from a local Crime Stoppers program’s calling area [defined by area code(s) and local exchanges(s)].
- The calls are instantaneously directed to the telephone number designated by the local Crime Stoppers program, which can also include a call center of a program’s choice anywhere within the US or Canada.
- There is no installation fee, no monthly fee, and no minimum fee. Rates start at $.06 per minute with discounts available.
- The originated telephone number of the caller is separated from the toll free destination before any call is delivered to its final destination. There is no record connecting the caller with the destination at any carrier. No Crime Stoppers program ever receives a record of any originating telephone number. To further protect the privacy of the caller(s), all records are deleted after a single billing cycle.
- Menus available at no charge also allow callers to choose additional features such as translation services in foreign languages and intra jurisdictional call routing. (Fees for answering services and/or translation are the responsibility of the individual Crime Stoppers program requesting and contracting for those services.)
- 1-800-222-TIPS comes with virtually unlimited capacity, so the ability to take calls is no longer tied to the number of incoming telephone lines available to a Crime Stoppers program. Also those programs that employ a contract call center or have a supplemental agreement with a police department can have their excess calls flow automatically to the alternate answering service, avoiding unwanted “busy” signals.
If your Crime Stoppers program is currently utilizing an 800 number, the new national 800 number can be phased in or included with the current number in several ways:
- 1-800-222-TIPS can be installed awaiting its use. Your Crime Stoppers program would pay nothing for the install and nothing for use, except for the few stray calls received while the number is unadvertised.
- Your program’s existing 800 number can be transferred to the Telecompute facilities with no monthly fee and transport rates at or below whatever price you are paying now.
- Using the national tip line 1-800-222-8477 does not required abandoning or changing the way you may use your existing tip line(s). The two can operate concurrently, routing calls to the same destination. Since there is no monthly fee for the National tip line or your existing number under the Telecompute exclusive offer, there is no economic penalty in doing so. In fact, there is a financial incentive to adopt the national number and shift you program’s existing number to Telecompute to avoid any and all monthly recurring fees.
If your program would like additional information to see how the National 800 program would benefit you program and community, please contact:
Crime Stoppers USA is excited about the opportunities 1-800-222-TIPS can bring to the Crime Stoppers program. By promoting the branding and familiarity of Crime Stoppers with the general public throughout the United States, this project can assist local programs with marketing and fundraising initiatives, stimulate additional calls, and be yet another tool to help solve crimes in our communities.
M. Elaine Cloyd
Crime Stoppers USA, Inc.